Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Where were you when...?



In my life, I remember only a few major moments in history: the challenger disaster; fall of the Berlin wall; September 11th; the Tsunami. There are others of course, but these stand out at the moment.


In 30 years, I may not remember exactly what I was doing the moment President Obama was sworn into office. But I will never forget walking door-to-door in the rain, talking with neighbors about the hope he could bring to our nation. I will remember the mounting joy election night, watching the results from each state roll in with fellow campaign volunteers and watching his acceptance speech with Barry- both of us keenly aware of history taking place before us. I will mark the passage of my own life around this time.


I am not articulate enough to put my joy in words. Simply, I feel the dark cloud that has hung over our country for the past number of years is finally lifting. I can be proud to be an American again.

No comments: